Congratulations, and best of luck! You’ve made the decision, to seek, what for many, for generations, has been, which is the essential component of the so – called, American Dream – buying a home, of your own. When one proceeds, carefully, and wisely, and buys, what he needs, likes, can afford, and is located, in an area and neighborhood, you desire, you’ll have the best chance, of achieving your objectives, in a relevant, smart, priorities – oriented way. Since, for most Americans, their ownership of their house, represents their single, biggest, financial asset, doesn’t it make sense to pay keen attention, and get the best results? With that in mind, this article will briefly discuss, consider, and review, using the mnemonic approach, the CARDS approach to home buying.
1. Credit: For those who are well – prepared, before they begin their search and hunt, it has the potential to be, a satisfying, inspiring, motivating experience. An essential aspect and component, is to fully consider, review and prepare, so, your credit is your friend, rather than becoming an obstacle, and/ or worse! Several months before you begin searching, sit down with a recommended, mortgage professional, and gather relevant, meaningful, feedback. Then, address, any, and every area, suggested. Have all the necessary reserves, for down – payment, maintenance, several months carrying charges, etc. Carefully review your Credit Report, and address any issues, and make it, as favorable, as possible! Be prepared!
2. Attention: Pay keen attention to details, and never ignore, even the minor issues, but proceed, in a timely manner, to be, as prepared, as possible. Objectively, introspectively, examine your needs, goals, priorities, as well as limitations, and determine, the best course of action, to pursue.
3. Reserves: Accumulate all the reserves you will need, as well as those which might make you more comfortable! Obviously, you must have the down – payment. Have at least 6 to 9 months, reserves, put aside, for monthly carrying charges, etc. Create a reserve for repairs, renovations, maintenance, etc, so, home ownership, becomes a pleasure, rather than stressful!
4. Debts: Simply stated, reduce all other debts, so you have an easier time, qualifying for the best mortgage! Doing so, also, creates a form of needed, self – discipline! Aim to become your best friend, rather than being your enemy! Also, avoid taking out, any additional, new debts!
5. Savings: Focus on accumulating savings, as well as proceeding, efficiently in areas, such as energy, and other cost – savings, areas